Naomi Fowler ■ Rising inequality and dysfunction in the tax haven of Jersey: a Taxcast special edition
In this special extended edition of the April 2019 Taxcast, broadcast from the tax haven of Jersey:
- we explore Jersey’s poor showing in the OECD’s Better Life Index and ask why Jersey’s spending so much money on improving its bad image instead of setting up public registers of beneficial ownership information
- we interview the tax haven of Jersey’s former Chief Advisor to the government, one of Jersey’s main architects of its offshore business model
- we hear about Jersey’s dysfunctional political system from an elected representative of Jersey’s only political party Reform Jersey and its rising inequality levels
- and we speak to the fire-starters of the global tax justice movement – it all started in Jersey…
We don’t have politics in Jersey. We’re creating it now. We have in Reform Jersey the only political party in Jersey, stands on a platform and tries to adhere to its platform. That’s unique in Jersey politics because Jersey politics is run by 49 individuals who stand up and say, I’m a good bloke, good businessman. Vote for me. I’ll look after the best interests of the island. Trust me. And very little else usually in terms of policy.Geoff Southern, elected Deputy and co-founder of Jersey’s only political party Reform Jersey
- Geoff Southern, elected Deputy and co-founder of Reform Jersey, Jersey’s only political party
- Colin Powell, Jersey’s former Chief Advisor to the government, one of Jersey’s main architects of its offshore business model
- Financial crime consultant Graham Barrow, also of the Dark Money Files podcast
- Two of the fire-starters of the global tax justice movement in Jersey, Pat Lucas and Jean Andersson
- John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network
- Produced and presented by Naomi Fowler of the Tax Justice Network
Want to download and listen on the go? Download onto your phone or hand held device by clicking ‘save link’ or ‘download link’ here.
Want more Taxcasts? The full playlist is here and here. Or here.
Want to subscribe? Subscribe via email by contacting the Taxcast producer on naomi [at] taxjustice.net OR subscribe to the Taxcast RSS feed here OR subscribe to our youtube channel, Tax Justice TV OR find us on Acast, Spotify, iTunes or Stitcher.
Join us on facebook and get our blogs into your feed
Follow Naomi Fowler John Christensen, The Taxcast and the Tax Justice Network on Twitter.
Mulheres exaustas: a culpa é dos super ricos #47: the Tax Justice Network Portuguese podcast
Malgré sa tourmente en Europe, la Transparence sur les bénéficiaires effectifs continue de s’améliorer en Afrique.
SWIFT: The next frontier in countering dirty money
Transparencia de beneficiarios finales en África y América Latina: Avances, pero aún queda más por hacer
Narcobanqueros, la reforma impositiva Colombiana, moneda alternativa: March 2023 Spanish language tax justice podcast, Justicia ImPositiva
Tax Justice Network Arabic podcast #63: السودان: سياسة الولاءات وتركيز الثروات عبر الضرائب
Beneficial ownership transparency in Africa and Latin America: advances, but more to be done
Africa makes progress to end anonymous companies
The state of play of beneficial ownership registration in Africa 2022
13 March 2023
The state of play of beneficial ownership registration in Latin America 2022
13 March 2023