Naomi Fowler ■ Oligopoly Capitalism: economic and democratic threats: the Tax Justice Network’s January 2019 podcast
In Edition 85 of the January 2019 Tax Justice Network’s monthly podcast/radio show, the Taxcast (available on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify and other podcast platforms):
- Naomi Fowler talks to investor and author Jonathan Tepper who’s co-written a book called ‘The Myth of Capitalism: Monopolies and the death of capitalism’ and explore monopolies, the dangers to consumers and citizens, and the suppression of true innovation: are we in the last stage of capitalism?
- Plus the Tax Justice Network’s John Christensen discusses Congress woman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‘s proposal for a 70% top marginal tax rate to be levied on incomes once they get to $10 million and above.
- And…we talk about Brexit, and how the European Union should handle the City of London’s finance sector
- Jonathan Tepper investor and co-author of ‘The Myth of Capitalism: Monopolies and the death of capitalism’
- John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network
- Produced and presented by Naomi Fowler of the Tax Justice Network
“Competition is declining. The idea that some of these industries that we see are truly Capitalist is not true in the sense that you don’t have genuine competition
~ Jonathan Tepper investor and co-author of
‘The Myth of Capitalism: Monopolies and the death of capitalism’
Want to download and listen on the go? Download onto your phone or hand held device by clicking ‘save link’ here.
Want more Taxcasts? The full playlist is here and here. Or here.
Want to subscribe? Subscribe via email by contacting the Taxcast producer on naomi [at] taxjustice.net OR subscribe to the Taxcast RSS feed here OR subscribe to our youtube channel, Tax Justice TV OR find us on Acast, Spotify, iTunes or Stitcher.
Join us on facebook and get our blogs into your feed
Follow Naomi Fowler John Christensen, The Taxcast and the Tax Justice Network on Twitter.
The world’s 26 richest people own as much as poorest 50%, says Oxfam, and there’s a growing concentration of wealth in the world. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/21/world-26-richest-people-own-as-much-as-poorest-50-per-cent-oxfam-report?CMP=share_btn_tw
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal demands the courage of the Roosevelt era https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/01/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-s-green-new-deal-demands-courage-roosevelt-era-2
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Tax Hike Idea Is Not About Soaking the Rich https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/ocasio-cortez-taxes.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
For a Real-World Example of Ocasio-Cortez’s Tax Proposal, Look to Sweden https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-09/hysteria-around-a-70-tax-rate-gets-a-reality-check-in-sweden
Read John Christensen’s notes on his speech to the EU Parliament on the Impact of Brexit on Tax Evasion and Money Laundering https://taxjustice.net/2019/01/23/brexit-and-the-future-of-tax-havens/ You can watch the whole thing here
Tax Justice Network Arabic podcast #66: الضريبة الموحدة على الشركات والفرص الضائعة
Monopolies and market power: the Tax Justice Network podcast, the Taxcast
Tax Justice Network Arabic podcast #62: بولط تونس: تسريب معطيات نحو تل أبيب، تهرّب ضريبي وجرائم أخرى
The Making of Tax Haven Mauritius: the Tax Justice Network podcast, the Taxcast
Five key trends in 2023: Financial transparency, tax justice and inequality
Copa do Mundo das injustiças #43: the Tax Justice Network Portuguese podcast
Uncommon Wealth and the ‘boomerang effect’: the Tax Justice Network podcast, the Taxcast:
Taxing unearned profits
Ireland’s responsibility for the impacts of cross-border tax abuse on the realisation of children’s rights (2nd UN submission)
22 August 2022